Sunday, May 25, 2008

Poker Report

I haven't been to AC to play some poker in quite awhile, so given that Colleen I'd still in Nicaragua and it's a three day weekend, I decided to make the trek today.

Right now I'm waiting to head home. It was a mixed day. Actually, anyone else would have been thrilled - I'm going home up $225 for about 8 hours of playing. But I'm not thrilled with my play today. I should probably be up $500, but I made a couple of stupid calls. The only reason I finished up was because I got lucky and doubled up late.

I look down in middle position to see pocket 7's. There was a raise to $12, but that really wasn't that big a raise at this table so I called. I think there another 1 or 2 callers after me. Flop came down 7Q7 rainbow. At this point all I'm thinking is how to get the most money into the pot. I'm first to act and check. Next player bets $10. I'm the only one to call. 8 comes on the turn. I bet $15, hoping the other guy has made a decent hand. He comes over the top $30.

This is where I start my Academy Award nominated performance. I sigh, I look down at my chips, I check my cards, and I carefully count out the chips before calling.

The river comes down 9 of diamonds. I'm pretty stoked about the card, because it puts a straight on the board, and if the guy was drawing, that might have just made his hand. I check. He bets $75. I think for a second and then push all on for another $150 on top.

At this point my hearts pounding like a drum and I'm pretty sure it's visible to the entire table. I'm praying for a call, but don't think I'll ever get it. I just go into my distant state. He counts out the chips and thinks about it for a few good minutes before stacking his $150 and putting it in. I still don't believe he paid me off.

Otherwise my cards were pretty good. I had pocket A's 5 times (including back to back) but got cracked pretty bad twice.

The weather and atmosphere down here were great. I took the train, which has turned out to be a real winner.

Overall a good day, and Colleen will be back tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, I learned a lot from your article. It is really interesting and informative. http:/pokerroom24