Friday, March 14, 2008

Why "Stovetop Diplomacy"?

"Stovetop Diplomacy" is the name I've given to my theory that one of the best ways to get other people to like you, particularly co-workers, neighbors and members of the same sexual preference, is to bring in baked goods from home and shared them. It's a bit of a corollary to the idea that the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

I have a great deal of anecdotal evidence supporting my theory. During my summer at PFAW, people fell in love with my black and white cookies so much that I became the designated baker for all of the birthday/farewell parties for that summer. At the Senate Democrats, my carrot cakes and apple pies have become legendary. And every month I bake something for Colleen to bring to the hospital to bribe the nurses with.

The bottom line is, to succeed in the world office politics (or love), it doesn't hurt to be known as the guy or gall who pleases the sweet tooth on a regular basis. Heck, even if it's the only thing you know how to cook, that one decent recipe could be the biggest gun in your arsenal.

No comments: